DEAD SILENCE Playlist


I generally don't listen to music WHILE I'm writing, otherwise I'm not writing, I'm singing. Badly.

Instead, I use music as a tool. To think things out. I like to crank up the radio in the car and let my mind drift while I'm driving. And to sing...badly. Sometimes that's where I get my best ideas. (From the driving, not the singing.)

But I also like playlists that are tailored to each book. Sometimes, like the one I did for Violet a couple of years ago, or even before that, the song Possom Kingdom for the serial killer in The Body Finder, I even like to tailor them for each character.

I shared my playlist for DEAD SILENCE with Harper's Pitch Dark site, but realized I hadn't shared it with you guys, so here it is:


CLOSER by Kings of Leon. This is actually a song I had on the DESIRES OF THE DEAD playlist, but I loved it so much I just had to list it here as well. With its sharp-edge and haunting lyrics, it just screams serial killer. Literally.

BONES by Ms Mr. Another song with great lyrics: “Dig up her bones, but leave her soul alone.” Dark, mysterious, and lyrical. Everything a good playlist begs for.

Piano Sonata #14 (aka. MOONLIGHT SONATA) by Beethoven. This was sort of a no brainer, and when you read the book, you’ll know why.

WHAT I’VE DONE by Linkin Park. Okay, so Linkin Park meant for this song to be all about regret for what we’ve done to our planet, but, to me, the lyrics, and the music, are still a great backdrop for a killer’s regrets. It’s hopeful but in a really dark way.

MONSTER by Paramore. I just love this one. It captures that desire we all have to protect those we care about most.

STAND IN THE RAIN by Superchick. This is a great song about finding the strength that exists within us all. Violet’s anthem for this final book.

 SEVEN DEVILS by Florence and the Machine. Fierce and relentless, this song elicits the kind of powerful imagery in line with a book about evil, anguish, and tortured souls. I can’t get  enough of Florence and the Machine!

TIME OF DYING by Three Days Grace. Another song that’s great for interpretation. It’s really about surviving against the odds. But with its melody and ferocious delivery, it has a heavy metal vibe that is perfect for this book.

SHE TALKS TO ANGELS by The Black Crowes. Drug use and loss whisper through the lyrics of this gorgeous oldie, making it an ideal addition to this playlist. I can listen to this song on repeat and hear different nuances each and every time it plays.

HOW TO SAVE A LIFE by The Fray. This song makes me think of a specific scene in the book, but it also makes me wonder just how much influence we really have over the decisions others make. I think of life and loss and what happens after people are gone.


So, what do you think? Are there any songs you would add to this playlist???

Comments