Near and Dear To My Heart...

I don’t know why it took me so long to get there, I’ve heard about it all week. But for some reason, I didn’t go until this morning. To Bridget Zinn’s blog. And, more importantly to her auction site.

You see, Bridget Zinn has Stage 4 Colon Cancer. And at this site, many, MANY fabulous authors, artists, and just downright generous people have set up an auction that runs until May 30th to help pay for her treatment. If you need motivation as to why you should help Bridget, read this post. In it, Bridget describes how she discovered that she, a young woman with ZERO risk factors for colon cancer, first found out she had it…seems it started with some headaches.

At the very least, go to the auction site and browse, there are some AMAZING items there. I’ve placed some bids on potential birthday and Christmas presents. It’s the least I can do.

And for those of you who don’t know why this particular young woman resonates with me: I have a colonoscopy every three years to remove the precancerous polyps that continually grow there due to a strong family history of colon cancer. I urge EVERYONE who has a family history to insist that your doctor screen you well before the recommended age of 50. Doing so quite possibly saved my life! *gets down off of soapbox*

Go! Read about Bridget. Browse the items. And be thankful for the good things you have, instead of sorry for those you don’t.

Comments

Christy Raedeke said…
It's been amazing to watch the online community rally around this young woman; it's truly inspiring and humbling. Having had a similar cancer myself, it resonates deeply with me.
PurpleClover said…
Sadly it seems like the incidence of these cancers are on the incline. It makes me scared of everything.

She has a great disposition and deserves the help of her peers!

Sorry you've been touched with this personally and I hope that it never develops further.
Christy - It is an incredible community we belong to, isn't it?!

Purple - I'm just glad I have a father who nagged me until I gave in and had it done so early! :)
lisa and laura said…
I've heard about Bridget and she's an inspiration to say the least. I can't imagine what she's going through and am sending all of my positive energy her way. I hope she can beat this thing.

And P-Clo, I totally agree, cancer and the fact that more and more people seem to be diagnosed with it every year is terrifying.
Heidi Willis said…
Going over there right now.

Don't ever get off your soapbox.
It's great that they are raising funds for her. =) I was just wondering, what payment method is accepted? If PayPal is allowed, please let me know!
Hey Kate - I don't know what form of payment they accept, I guess I just assumed they would let me know if I won something. I looked around for an answer to your question, or even someone to contact to ask, but couldn't find it...so, I'm sorry, I just don't know!